So I've had a few e-mails in the past about how I installed the small, corrugated metal dividing wall in Manland North. I'll share a few pictures on the process.
Manland North occupies one-third of a three-car garage. I wanted a way to "set off" the Manland side from the regular garage side and had previously used rope lights attached to the ceiling and a beer-flag banner string along the edge.
I had toyed with the idea of adding a solid wall in between the areas, but I didn't want the "confined" feel of closing in the space. It's nice to open both garage doors and let the breeze blow through in the Summer time. So I came up with the idea to add a low, overhead wall that would allow me to do three things: 1. Add a metal rod to hang some type of sliding curtain should I want to close off the space 2. the wall would give me a place to install surround sound speakers (and) 3. It would would give me another area to hang Neons and Beer stuff (most important!).
Our garage has eight-foot ceilings, so I don't have a lot of overhead room to work with. I settled on making the wall 20" from the top of the ceiling to the bottom of the "I" beam on the bottom. So I now have the following requirement in Manland: if you are taller than 6'4" ... DUCK WHEN YOU ENTER!
Here's a pictorial of the install process.
After finding the overhead beams, I attached a 2 x 4 header to the ceiling with wood screws.
I then constructed two 9-foot-long frames made from 2 x 4s.
Each frame was then hung with 4" wood screws.
I purchased the metal sheets from Home Creepo. They come in 2' by 8' sections. I marked off a line on each sheet with a Sharpie and used an old pair of large, metal snips that were given to me by my Grandpa. (I knew there was a reason I still had these things around ...).
Each metal sheet was attached to the wood frame with metal screws. I pre-punched holes in various spots for the screws with an awl, and hammered in the tip of each screw. I then used an electric drill with a philips head bit to drive them in.
Side one complete. I later went back and bent down the edges a bit to create a "seemless" look.
The side facing Manland was a bit more involved. The surround speakers needed a cutout in the metal ... this was the most time-consuming part of the project.
I bought a set of Leviton 6.5-inch Two-Way In-Wall Loudspeakers, Model SGI65-00W, from Home Creepo for around $100 for the pair. These are designed to fit within a standard wall width. The kit came with a cutout template that I traced onto the metal sheets. Then out came a smaller pair of tin snips and I started cutting. Each cutout took around 45 minutes (and a whole lotta F BOMBS).
Once I had the cutouts completed, I needed to add a wood frame on the backside for the speakers to seat on. Each speaker has L bracket legs that swing out once you tighten the four screws on the front. I created two frames out of some old wood I had saved from a backyard fencing project and attached it to the metal with small woodscrews.
At this point, I ran the speaker wire through the frames to each speaker location.
With both cutouts complete, I went back to "screwing."
The Leviton speakers have a white, plastic surround on the edges and a white speaker screen that's designed to be painted to match the walls. I picked up a can of silver "hammered metal" spray paint and went at it. The surrounds were easy to paint, but the screen took three LIGHT coats to prevent the paint from clogging the mesh. Have patience -- and a lot of Beer on hand ...
Speaker Grilles painted and installed.
To complete the wall, I added quarter round trim (painted flat black) to the top seam of each wall side and attached red rope lights.
A few months later, I added the "I" beam, made from 2 by 6s painted black to the bottom. I basically cut the 2 x 6's in half length wise and screwed them to the outsides of the bottom 2 x 4. In the middle, I hung two pieces of iron conduit that will eventually hold the yet to be installed curtains.
The last step was adding the red rope lights to the tops of the 2 x 6s.
Here's my advice if you are going to take on an install like this. The biggest issue I ran into was placing the speakers into the frames. What I failed to account for was that by placing speakers into the wall, the ENTIRE structure essentially turns into a giant speaker enclosure. I first time I cranked up the tunes ... you guessed it ... the metal sheets rattled like a SOB. Rather than pulling down the sheets and insulating the cavities, I decided to place a metal screw in each low spot of each sheet. (YES, EVERY F'IN SHEET.) I think it took me somewhere around 300 to 400 screws to complete this project.
In hindsight, placing a 1/2" rubber weatherstripping along the edges of each 2x4 prior to installing the metal sheets would have done the trick.
Learn from my mistake!
So there you have it. The Manland North Corrugated Metal Wall Divider. Let me know if you dudes have any questions!